Day one (Officially)
I’m a can-a-day dipper. Copenhagen Snuff. I think I did 2 dips yesterday. It wasn’t something I consciously decided to do (or not do). My stomach had been feeling weird for a few days and my wife wondered if it was from the tobacco. I don’t think it was. My guess is all the coffee and booze. Could have been the lamb at Easter dinner on Sunday. But yesterday morning on my drive into work, I didn’t pop in a dip. Dunno why. I always pop in a dip on my way to work. Usually after my coffee. Maybe it’s because I didn’t have any coffee either. I listened to Boomer and Carton on the Fan, Mike and Mike on ESPN. And just never put that dip in. I knew I had about 3 dips left in the can.
Usually before I get to the office I stop at the Mobile Mart and pick up a tin of Cope. I passed right by it yesterday. That’s when I slowly started to think that yesterday would be the day I quit.
It wasn’t yesterday though. I got to the office and sat at my desk. Worked on a few things – checked my calendar and saw that I didn’t have any meetings until 11:00. That was my trigger to put in one of those dips. When I did and looked at the can, I regretted not stopping at the Mobile Mart. No worries though. I can head over there at lunch. After my 11:00 meeting, I popped in another dip. Unfortunately, this was the last one. That third dip would have to be a baby dip. But I started to think this was something I could do. I’ve quit before. Not for any long stretches.  7 Days is my record, I think. I’ve been dipping for 25 years. Probably more, but 25 is a good conservative estimate.
So after that second dip was done and it was time for the third one, I headed out. Down the elevator. Instead of making a left after the turn-style to get to my car, I made a right. Into the mini Bodega. Not to get dip – they’re way too expensive, they never have Cope, and when they do, it’s always old. I went to the bodega to get seeds. They didn’t have regular seeds – just nacho cheese seeds. That’d have to do. At this point I was fully committed to giving this a shot. That was at about 2:30 yesterday. That baby dip still sat in my jacket pocket. I knew it was there.  On the drive home, I ate seeds until my mouth was raw. Last night after putting the kids to bed, I had one beer. Then went to bed. Can’t dip when you’re sleeping. Tomorrow’s another day, I thought.
When I woke this morning up I felt fantastic. 10 hours of sleep. Refreshed and rejuvenated. Baby dip in my jacket pocket, just in case, but I’m pretty sure today will be day one. I hope it will be. Had coffee on the drive to work. It takes about 45 minutes to get here, so I kind of milked the coffee – knowing I wouldn’t have time to enjoy the baby dip. When I got to the garage, I checked on the baby dip to see how small it was. It was small. Enough, but small. I walked by a garbage can and threw it in. That was it. No more baby dip.
It’s now 4:00. By this time on a normal day I would have had almost a full can. I’ve had 3 sticks of Extra Polar Ice, 1/3 of a bag of sunflower seeds, two squares of nicorette, and I’ve signed up on
My hands are starting to shake a little bit. I haven’t hit the head yet. That’s usually when I enjoy a nice, quiet dip. I’m going to call today day one. It’s been over 24 hours.
I hope that I’m writing about this again tomorrow. Otherwise I’ve failed. Again.
Blogger’s Note: I started my own personal blog on April 26th just for myself. When I saw Q4T and realized I could be blogging here, I decided to move my content over. I have two other blog posts – but I’ll post those in sequence. Oh yeah – and I have no idea how to blog, so my ramblings will all be stream of consciousness stuff… sorry if it’s confusing.
Today is Day 3. This entry is about Day 1.